Saturday, May 10, 2014

American Standard -97 with 69s and S-1

This is -97 American Standard, which was originally metallic red, but spray painted black by the previous owner. I sanded the black paint out and now this looks like muddy grayish red. 

One of the previous owners was a smoker and left some Claptonish burn marks next to E-tuner.

This came with Rio Grande pickups, but I changed those to Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups. The box says that these were checked and signed by 'queen of tone' Abigail Ybarra, but unfortunately she resigned (after 56 years of working for Fender) before my pickups were made. Personally I don't think there is any difference in the quality with or without the signature, but some people are willing to pay premium for those kind of things.   

I happened to have a 2-blade superswitch around, so I decided to go ahead and put in a S-1 switch. I used the American Deluxe wiring, which gives good variety of tones by connecting pickups in series or parallel





No comments:

Post a Comment