Saturday, May 10, 2014

Clapton mid-boost

Clapton mid-boost is a battery powered active circuitry that makes Stratocaster single coil pickup sound like Humbucker ( used in Gibson Les Pauls etc.). These are built in Clapton Stratocasters, but you can buy the circuit board separately.

Following diagram shows the frequency output of most common pickups. You can see that in order to make a Vintage Strat sound like a Vintage Humbucker you need some boost at 2kHz and filter out highest frequencies. That's exactly how Clapton mid-boost works. 
I got one of these. Clapton Strat has a special compartment made for circuit board and an opening in the back next to tremolo springs for battery. How to install this in the normal Strat without doing woodwork ? The Strat Plus body has so called swimming pool routing, so you can do as I did and install the circuit board and the battery under the pickguard between the pickups. 




















Later I decided that I might use the mid-boost with my other Stratocasters as well, so I took this out and will put it in a stomp box.  

No comments:

Post a Comment